- 2 cups mashed sweet potato (preferably day-old)
- 1 cup arrowroot powder
- ½ cup potato starch
Mushroom “Butter” Sauce
- 1/4 cup ghee ( clarified butter) – you may want a little more
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh sage
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- In a bowl mash the cooked sweet potato. Place it in a colander (with a bowl underneath it to catch the water) and place it in the fridge over night. The key to gnocchi is to remove as much moisture as possible.
- When you are ready to cook, add the arrowroot powder ¼ cup at a time mixing thoroughly. At the last ¼ cup you may need to start kneading with your hands.
- Knead in the potato starch (you may want to add a bit more)
- Form into a ball and split in fourths.
- Roll the dough into a long ¾-1 inch thick rope.
- Cut into 1 inch segments.
- Score with a fork.
- Saute, boil or store.
To cook the gnocchi via boiling, add water to a pot. Once it begins to boil add gnocchi one at a time to prevent sticking and cook until it rises to the top. Remove and let drain on a pan.
Heat a skillet over medium heat and add oil. Once oil is sizzling place gnocchi in and cook until golden and crispy. Flip gnocchi and repeat.
Once your gnocchi is complete leave out to dry fully 2-6 hours. Once dry place in a bowl or baggy and place in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for future use.
Mushroom “Butter Sauce”
- In large skillet, melt 2 tbsp of the ghee over medium heat; cook onion, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in cremini mushrooms, garlic and thyme; cook until mushrooms are tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in parsley. Scrape into large bowl.
- In same pan, melt remaining butter over medium heat; cook, swirling frequently, until nutty brown and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add gnocchi; cook, tossing occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add gnocchi, pepper and salt to mushroom mixture; toss to combine. Return to serving platter.